Wednesday, August 12, 2015

I saw a piece of his heart...

 He laughed when he saw this picture of himself.
              He was still laughing from the previous picture when I showed him this one.
 I showed him this picture and asked him if he remembered having dinners at Grandma and Grandpa's ever.  He looked at it and said, "I remember that."  I thought it was nice that he answered because he doesn't usually respond back to me, although one of the workers, Robin, told me when I picked him up, that he had been talking more.
Then I showed him this one.  There was a stack of pictures, and we were looking at several.  At one point I looked over at him to see him silently crying, but quite hard.  Big tears streaming down his cheeks.  I apologized for upsetting him and told him sometimes it can be hard looking at pictures with so many people who are no longer with us anymore, and told him that we will see them again some day, but I'm really not sure why he was crying.  I saw raw emotion and felt like I saw a piece of his heart, but I can only guess why he was crying.  He pulled himself together and I rubbed his hand and told him how much I love him, but by then I was teary too.  I checked on him when I got home and the girl who answered the phone said he seemed happy and had just downed a cup of coffee.

5 comments:

Martha said...

We would have missed so much by not making the commitment to visit him... I am blessed by your last two visits even if I couldn't be there.

Rachel said...

I was blessed today to see his tears (rather than head whacking)...he seemed so normal. It caught me so off guard though, and concerned me at first. We were already on our way back to his place and I thought, "How am I going to calm him down?" But he pulled himself together and wiped away all his tears (with his hands because the tissues were all the way in the back of my car). By then I was all teary eyed. I think I'm going to make a paper copy of the one of him smushing his face on the window, and tape it to the dashboard the next time I see him. :D

Martha said...

I love you, Rachel.
:0)

Rachel said...

I love you too, Marty.

Priscilla said...

I've been the absent sister. He is on my prayer list. I pray for I'm every day. Depending on what job the Lord blesses me with this coming year, I may be able to come with you more regularly.

I imagine that he has a lot of grief for the past. It must have been very hard to have to leave home and live somewhere else. This world ain't all there is. That's what I keep telling myself and others who grieve.